1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Live chat has been implemented! Scroll down and join the fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for help to write comprehensive hero build guides.

If you'd like to contribute please let us know in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

A guide to the one and only Sonia (2nd and a 1st half edition)

Discussion in 'Guides & Hero Builds' started by Ninetale3, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Hello, and welcome my guide on Sonia, the blue hurricane. A unique addition to the knight lineup.

1. Introduction and pros and cons

Sonia is a knight who is available in the special shop for 6,000 rubies. She is also recruitable via heroes Inn.

Sonia is unique among tanks. She is the first knight tank to be designed with individual damage per second performance in mind. She helps out magic teams in either sub DPS and tank slots and is very customizable once you start hitting the light and dark perks.

Pros:

Impressive individual damage per second performance for knight standards.

Works well with quite a number of heroes.

One of the few, if not only, characters to provide CC boosting.

Pretty good transcendence perks all around and very customizable

Cons:

Not much for dependable cc tools outside of a 4 mana skill.

Takes a bit of time to setup the CC boost.

Classification as a Knight can make it difficult to be an off tank or Sub DPS due to knights having front priority outside of themselves depending on who we are talking.

somewhat vulnerable when power of lightning is down.

2. Skills and unique weapon and unique treasure

Sonia’s first skill, Lightning strike, uses two mana to smack her orb into the ground. Causing an electric field that causes ??? magical damage and has a 25% chance to cause a half a second stun. Skill books will boost the damage further.

Notes: This is your best way to spread your passive out and get the next mob closer to activating shock. The field is a respectable size and the chance to interrupt something is never bad. Okay not good since there are reliable cc tools on other heroes but it can be handy nonetheless.

Power of lightning, skill 2, uses two mana to give herself ??? boost Atk and ??? boost both defenses. While this skill is in effect. Auto attacks have a 30% chance hit 2 random targets for ??? damage and inflict stun for half a second. Skill books raise this bonus by up to 25%.

Notes: Signature skill in the kit. Remember how big proxy of god’s boost was on Kasel, well Vespa said to hold my beer and this came out. The massive boosts are great and don't have much of a drawback. This should be the one you prioritize maxing out before anything else and be the one you activate asap in combat.

The final active skill in Sonia’s kit is called Electric Explosion. A 4 mana combo attack that deals ??? magic damage and ends with an electric explosion that deals ??? magic damage and inflicts a 5-second stun on all enemies caught in the radius.

Note: While somewhat costly and has a high cooldown time. The damage and 5-second stun can be useful. However, due to the animation time, you will need CC resist so that it can actually go off without getting interrupted. There is transcendence perks that can address this but that’s later down the line.

Her passive, Shock, stacks an electric charge per each of her attacks that land on an enemy. Each stack increasing the amount of magic damage the target takes by 1%. When they hit 30 stacks. The charges are consumed and inflict ??? magic damage and apply shock to them. Shock lasts for 7 seconds and increases stun time by .7 seconds when a shocked target is hit with stun and increases magic damage taken by 40%.

Note: This is where her support is. This turns all of her stuns into a little over a second worth of stun time. It also allows other characters that run stun to have more mileage off of the stuns in their kits as well. She works with magic teams more given that she ups their magic sources. She can also work on hybrid teams though that depends on some factors later.

Her unique weapon is called “Eye of the storm, Yandis”. This weapon increases shock time by 2 seconds and auto attacks that hit shocked targets grant reduced cooldowns on abilities by 1.6%.

Note: Her unique dependency status is similar to that of Nyx's area of UW needs. She doesn’t rely on the weapon and the base kit functions fine without it. However, you will see better performance once you obtain and invest in the weapon much like Nyx. The kit has a much better flow thanks to the built-in cooldown choice even if it takes some time to trigger. Plus extended shock time helps her and everyone else's damage output.

Her unique treasure, known as heart of Baikal, Provides electric explosion the following effect in addition to it's other effects. When attacking a shocked targets, target takes 100% of atk as extra magic damage. In addition, targets defenses are reduced by 10% for 5 seconds.

Notes: while not ground breaking of an addition, this breathes a bit more life into electric explosion and gives it more utility for that 4 mana cost. This adds into the tremendous universal amp she can already provide and it's not useless for strict magic comp builds either. Seek it out if you can but don't worry too much since it's not mandatory in the first place for her to function.

3a. Transcendence, what is it?
    Transcendence is a growth that is available to only five stars and up. Transcendence raises the characters level cap to 80. In addition, Transcendence has a point system to which you can spend points to unlock perks. You get 10 points for tier 1 and 15 points everytime you transcend to tiers 2,3, and 4, and 25 points for tier 5. More on point cost in respective tiers. Certain perks are locked until you can achieve a certain tier of transcendence.

3b. Transcendence 1 and 2 perks

Transcendence tiers 1 and 2 are the generic perk pool. Tier 1 selections are available to everyone while tier 2 selections, while are generic, differentiate a little bit based on class. Tier 1 perks need 10 points to activate and tier 2 perks require 15 points to activate.

Transcendence 1 features the following:

ATK up: Boost Atk by 20%

HP up: Boost HP by 30%

Def up: Boost both DEF stats by 35%

Crit resistance up: Gives 20% crit resistance

For transcendence 1, Atk up is what you want to go with no matter the build. Giving her more power will let her hit hard which is important when running her. Hp up is also a decent option should you desire a bit more survivability, defense up is a bit redundant given power of lightning and gear can pick that up so it's mostly an alternative to atk up at best. Crit resistance is mostly for the arena but there is some endgame content where crit is used. Keep it in mind for defensive builds.

Transcendence 2 has the following for knights:

Experienced Fighter: increases damage from all sources by 20%

Excellent strategy: All allies CC accuracy is increased by 150. (15%) Overlap applies 50 instead (5%)

WarCry: Increases all allies hp by 15%. When overlapped, applies 5% instead.

Shield of protection: Increases block by 200 (20%) and increases CC resist by 300. (30%)

For transcendence 2, Experienced Fighter is the best choice for Sub-DPS builds as it helps her get more damage as well as boosts everyone else's damage. Excellent strategy isn't the handiest thing in the world for her as it's not 100% imperative for her to land her CC since it takes a bit to be more than an interrupt anyway. Warcry is alright as the perk boosts her health though might fall off in raids based on the tank count. Lastly, Shield of protection is my personal choice here. Giving her both physical and magic block without gear and runes is huge for her since she wants to cheat block access as much as possible. In addition. The CC resistance is useful too since it helps compensate electric explosion's downside.

3b. The light and dark of Tier 3 perks

Transcendence tiers 3, and 4 operate a bit differently from tiers 1 and 2. Perks in tiers 3, and 4 allow you to boost your character’s kit. However, these tiers perks are split into light and dark. Once you choose one perk for a skill, you cannot pick the other perk. The perks of tier 3 require 15 points to activate perks.

Tier 3 perks for Sonia include:

Power of lightning light: Stat boost is increased by 40%
    Power of lightning dark: Changes additional damage proc to hit all targets.

Perk notes: Really strong perks no matter the choice. The light perk gives a pretty big boost to the already big boost. Meanwhile, the dark perk turns the proc into a straight up AOE style bonus. These two are really difficult to choose but are a must in any build.

Shock light: Increases shock duration by 2 seconds
    Shock dark: Effect changes to increased physical and magical damage on shocked targets.

Perk notes: Strong perks in their own rights though not as good as power of lightning's perks. Extra shock duration is always nice but Universal damage amps are always looked for in hybrid teams given how few and far they are. Grab one of these based on content and team comp.

Lightning strike light: Mana cost is reduced by 1 (Becomes a 1 mana skill)
    Lightning strike dark: Increases stun chance by 10% (Becomes 35% chance to stun)

Perk notes: The light perk makes the skill cost cheaper which it is something that's nice for the arena, on the other hand, the dark perk makes it more consistent. Not the most potent bonuses but they are useful.

Electric explosion light: Gives CC immunity to the skill
    Electric explosion dark: Increases stun duration by 1 second

Perk notes: Probably the weakest of the bunch and don't provide much of an impact. Grab the dark perk if you happen to have leftover points in the build.

3c. Tier 5 perks

Tier 5 perks feature only two, The perks include an all parameter boost plus an extra sub stat, and a unique perk that adds a special passive. Both of these can be armed but both require 15 points.

Sonia light: Increases HP, ATK, DEF, MDEF by 15% and gives Sonia and additional 100 Atk speed (10% boost)

Sonia dark: Upon attack. There is a 15% chance to deal extra magic dmg equal to 10% of max health and apply a stack of shock.

Perk notes: Get both of these. The play way too well off of one another to ignore. Okay, maybe the light perk if you have other perks in mind but the dark one gives quite the damage boost off of building tanky which is hard to ignore.

4.Gear options, sets, and artifacts

No matter which role we are talking about. Atk speed is her most important stat. She wants to get off shock asap and her fastest source is to use auto attacks.

The ideal stats to look for besides atk speed are hp, atk, crit, crit dmg. You don't need that much crit chance on gear since you can rune a pretty big amount off of runes. Though if you want magic block. Feel free to drop some crit dmg to fit more room for crit chance. Once you are at or near the 50 mark. You should be fine for the most part. Life steal is also an option but that's more for primer builds and more niche in comparison.

Gear of choice is pretty much Ice dragon. The giant bulwark of health from a full set can lead to some serious burst should t5 dark proc. Black dragon is also an option, However, the difference in damage output is pretty noticable and she doesn't need to much mp gain on atk to function on mana. I would suggest Black dragon strictly for arena where it's critical to get her stuff off asap.

5. Runes
    One of the runes should go to magic block for tank builds since it doesn't roll on gear. Therefore, it's important just to get magic block towards that 50% mark. Sub dps builds can opt for crit dmg and crit chance instead since blocks are pointless in those cases.

1 rune should go to Atk. So UW and non-UW needs 1 Atk rune. UW builds will likely be another atk rune for a total of 2 and an mp gain on atk rune for consistent skill cycling. You can run more durable runes such as toughness for example though once could argue a more traditional tank would be better suited for that sort of rune setup and builds.

6. Artifact recommendation
    There are quite a few options for Sonia in this aspect since tanks don't have too much problems in incorporating artifacts into their play style. A couple That I would recommend are as follows.

Earth core: Boosts Hp atk and defenses by 10% and those parameters upgrade with each awakening.

Notes: it's nothing spectacular of an artifact. Just a generic stat boost. However, since t5 dark can convert hp to more damage means this gives a more deceptive potency on sonia than one would first think. I would recommend this regardless of budget as this can give her a great power boost and cover or relatively lesser physical and magical defense stats when power of lightning is down.

Primer of the heroes: When units health drops below 20%, units atk rises by 30% as well as atk speed. In addition you take a 30% damage reduction from both physical and magical sources. The percent values increase with star count.

Note: not as stable as earth core for the most part given the low health requirements. It gives quite the potent effects especially when invested into upgrading it. I would recommend this if you are looking to put her in the sub dps position.

Golden mask of ancient kings: Upon taking a hit, their is a 5% chance of invulnerability for 3 seconds. This has a 5 second cooldown.

Notes: normally this doesn't have much value to knights despite the amount of hits taken since their are artifacts that can helps knights on the general scale better much like madame's bronze mirror. However, since sonia isn't lacking in damage herself, this can actually be useful on her since she can be a threat by herself. Something most tanks struggle to do while, well, tanking. However, this really needs a high start count to show any level of dependability so stick to something else until the 3 star mark when the proc down time starts to be minimal or non existent.

7. Closing thoughts

Thank you all for reading my guide. This is the first time I did this sort of thing so I hope it wasn’t a mess to read. I will continue to update this guide when needed since Sonia has become one of my favorite tanks in the game. Once again thanks for reading.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Update Log

• Cleaned up the gear and rune sections further.
      • Gear now has a more focused and less confusing suggestions and has a more concise gear recommendation.
      • Runes now feature a recommendations that are the more accepted norm when using her.
    • Artifact recommendations added. I have added three suggestions that are good with her. Will post more on the next update.
    • Added unique treasure option and notes to the treasure.

To come in the future
    • Perk loadout examples and teammate recommendations.
    • Arena section and counters.

Previous logs
    Updated the guide in accordance with the recent patch. Will be doing a once over to make sure nothing old was left behind in a few hours. As such, posts prior to the 11/24 update are considered outdated.
    • Character skills and transcendence perks now correlate to most recent balances.
    • Transcendence explanations updated to match current system.
    • Gear and runes adjusted according to changes. Artifact recommendations have been removed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. boblo

boblo New Member

I created an account just to say thank you for this guide! Not seen much love for Sonia yet but I'm loving her at lvl 80, T4 with UW1* and so-so T7 BD70-gear. Using her as main tank in magic team and just need to make her a little less squishy but she's just at entry level BD70 so I'm not worried! She can handle most content already, farming chap6 hell mode is no problem, 100% on auto.
    Currently I run: Sonia (T4UW1*), Maria (T3), Aisha (T5UW0*), Frey (T3UW0*) in pretty much everything.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Thank you, to be honest, I was kinda worried that people wouldn't find the guide helpful. I am glad it has been for you.

It's understandable for not being as much love for Sonia atm. She is a new character. People will go with what has shown to work compared to something uncertain. Just needs some time to settle in is all.

I am glad to hear she has worked well for you. This helps further testament to her usefulness and gives confidence to those debating on picking her up.

I don't know if you will continue to hang around the forums but welcome nonetheless.

5. orangeapple

orangeapple New Member

I too just created an account to comment..
    First off, great guide.

Now, I've been playing King's Raid for 1 and a half months now and have built my primary team to somewhat acceptable levels. I run Aisha, Laias, Jane and Sonia. I'm looking to replace jane soon with a second DPSer.

Anyway, could you elaborate on the runes and toughness section of your guide? Currently, I'm running 50%spd atk 40% life steal just to mitigate the 2nd skill's 20% HP reduction effect and I'd like to replace 2 of my life steel options with something else and that toughness thing maybe what I need.

Also, I'm looking into using 2 Forst Dragon gear for some HP boost. I find that due to the length of CD of her skills, i rarely run out of mana and maybe more HP will help her survivability as tank since I only have 1 set of p.def and m.def boost.

Thanks.

6. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Hello,

So, to elaborate, toughness is strictly a rune stat. You cannot roll toughness on gear. Believe me, if toughness is on gear, I would using different runes on her.

If I missed the elaboration on runes please let me know. This is what I am guessing on what needed to be elaborated.

Toughness, as mentioned before, is a raw mitigation stat. So the number for the stat correlates to a percent reduction in the damage. For example, knights tend to start with a built in toughness of 250 points on both sides. This correlates to a 25% damage reduction from both physical and magic damage. So if the rune has let's say 200 physical toughness and equip it to her weapon. Now toughness is at 450, A 45% damage reduction from physical sources.

However, I am not certain if toughness factors before or after block. Needs testing on prioritization.

Health is okay if you are running the path of dark. However, the amount of health needed to mitigate power of lightning's draw back requires a heavy sink in a main tank position. Not even 4/4 frost dragon is enough to compensate. This is why I recommend the green dragon set. One of her biggest enemies is crit damage. An unlucky crit can burst her down even when factoring toughness, especially a case an arena where most players spec crit for nuking. Some bosses do have crits on them. Some examples include the Mountain fortress (A world boss) and Red Dragon. Crit. Resistance works to reduce crit damage taken. Making it harder to burst her down.

Hopefully, I have answered everything satisfactory.

7. XiongZi

XiongZi Moderator Staff Member

Block is taken into account first, toughness is sort of your "last line of defence". This is why people normally take block and don't build tanks using toughness.

8. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Thanks for the info. Saves me some runs and messing with gear.

9. orangeapple

orangeapple New Member

Thanks for elaborating. I'm still building end game gear and will probably go with 2 RD and 2 GD gears just because I want to. :)

10. Drekrim

Drekrim Active Member

Ever since reading her kit I've been intrigued by the possibilities Sonia offers. I ended up getting Scarlet instead though because I pulled her UW and I was trying to break away from my collection of tanks(T5 lvl 80 Morrah and Demia, T3 lvl 80 Ricardo, 5 star Clause, and 4 star Phillop.) However I still keep looking at her longingly every time I open the shop. I feel like a dark build with max HP and ~30% lifesteal could be fun. Give her the Earth Core artifact to boost her damage and defenses higher and at least in my mind you're setting up for something dirty.

11. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Oh yeah, it's a scary setup. Not to mention the perk is kinda easy to proc since she has so many hits between skill 1 and autos.

Though now I am a bit scared given that she is on the balance block. Hopefully it's just adjusting the transcendence perks and nothing more because I feel it's way too early in her life span to be making serious changes.

12. Drekrim

Drekrim Active Member

Balance block doesn't always mean nerf. Epis was on it the first round and ended up getting a huge buff. To the point she's probably about to get leveled with the nerf bat. I haven't gotten to actually use her our even see her that much, but my guess is it's going to be a tweak to her stuns so that they're longer/harder to proc or maybe even make them longer without changing the proc ratio. Or even just tweak her health sacrificing/defense raising ratios. With Vespa you just have to hold your breath and sacrifice all the mages to the Company Gods that they don't break your favorites!!

13. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

True, balance does not equal nerf. However, it's not like say Naila where she can only go up at this point. I just can't help but be worried a bit.

Drekrim likes this.
  14. XiongZi

That awkward moment when she got buffed to high heaven.

Drekrim likes this.
  15. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

Indeed, I didn't think it would be nothing but buffs. I thought it might have been give and take or just minor tweaks.

Though I am a bit salty since I got to revamp the guide. Gonna be a long day once I am at the computer. XD

16. XiongZi

You and me both and all the guide-makers... there's so much room for creativity I don't know how to do I'm at an SOS (Stuck On Stupid). One of my preferred T2 perks got removed so I'm opting for both T5 perks and no T2 perks instead.

Do I get paid for this? We should be paid, right?

17. Drekrim

Drekrim Active Member

So has it been confirmed that both T5 perks will activate? Because It almost seems overpowered and that you should do that on all characters period. Getting that 15% increase to all stats plus the usually powerful dark boosts to an ability etc. It seems too good to be true. Plus it kind of goes against the whole you can only pick light or dark for each move theme from the T3 tier.

18. XiongZi

Yup - no calculation tested because I haven't had the time but in patch note it's specifically stated "T3" where you can't pick both Light and Dark.

I feel like the statement on getting both T5 perks depends. Maybe for knights or warriors or something, but any backliner doesn't need it because they prioritise damage/healing over defensive stats and the T2 fulfills those purposes more.

19. Drekrim

Drekrim Active Member

True but what of the ones that have only 1 T3 that just really shines..could it not be more beneficial to get the T5 light for the 15% increase to Attack + random extra secondary stat?

20. Ninetale3

Ninetale3 Active Member

That depends on the class we are talking. Mages have both moral rise and circuit burst so the t5 light would have to have some really good numbers to compete in terms of mages.